Navigating the difference between private duty home care and other types of home care- like Medicare-certified Home Health Care can be confusing for families and seniors in the Carlsbad area.
“The first step in understanding the difference between non-medical home care and home health care is to define the term.”
Private Duty Home Care is also called non-medical home care.This type of in-home senior care is typically for seniors and disabled adults who need the following non-medical homecare services:
- Senior Companionship
- Light housekeeping
- Meal preparation
- Light laundry
- Errands and shopping
- Transportation to MD Appointments
- Help with Pets
- Help with household duties (watering plants, checking the mail)
- Medication reminders
- Help with personal care like toileting, bathing, and dressing.
- Safety in the home- to avoid wandering, leaving the stove turned on.
- Typically, a trained caregiver will be in the home for a certain number of hours each day, or every other day, to assist your senior with these activities.
Next, Does Medicare or Medicaid Cover Private Duty Home Care?Medicare does not cover the cost of non-medical home care. This type of care (private duty non-medical home care) is considered long-term and is usually paid for with private funds or long-term care insurance. In certain circumstances, STATE Medicaid will pay for the cost of non-medical private-duty home care. The senior must apply for Medicaid and must meet the financial requirements for Medicaid services. To learn more, visit Carlsbad, CA website
Understand What Kind of Home Care Services Are Covered Under Medicare and Medicaid
Home Care Services that are covered by Carlsbad, CAMedicaid Programs in Town Help with Many Issues:
- Locate services if you need food, clothing, or shelter
- Choose a primary care provider who is taking new patients
- Find a specialist
- Make provider appointments
- Get transportation to and from your provider appointments
- Understand and use your HUSKY Health benefits and services
- Access Care Management when you have a complex or life-long health condition
- Deal with a crisis – we can help you during a crisis of any kind
Community Health Workers
Community Health Workers (CHWs) are specially trained to help people struggling with basic needs and using the health care system. CHWs come from neighborhoods like yours and have similar cultures, so they can relate to you and your challenges. They know how things work in the real world and take the time to listen to your needs. Because our CHWs get to know you as a person, they can help you get the services that are right for you. When our CHWs work with you, they will:
- Listen to you, help you create a plan to meet your needs, and help guide you through that plan so you can get the services that are available to you
- Meet with you in person, in a comfortable place in your community to get to know you
- Connect you to resources in your community to help with clothing, shelter, food, childcare, and more
- Advocate for your needs and find the right person for you to talk with about those needs
- Provide health education that fits your culture
- Teach you how to navigate the health care system
- Support you with getting the care that you need to be as healthy as possible
- Help you understand your HUSKY Health benefits
Private Duty Home Care Services that are covered by Medicare in Carlsbad, CA
Medicare-Covered Home Health Care ServicesMedicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and/or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) cover eligible home health services like these: (2)
- Part-time or “intermittent” skilled nursing care
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech-language pathology services
- Medical social services
- Part-time or intermittent home health aide services (personal hands-on care)
- Injectable osteoporosis drugs for women
- Usually, a home health care agency coordinates the services your doctor orders for you.
- 24-hour-a-day care at home
- Meals delivered to your home
- Homemaker services (like shopping, cleaning, and laundry), when this is the only care you need
- Custodial or personal care (like bathing, dressing, or using the bathroom), when this is the only care you need
If you have determined that private duty in-home care is right for you, the next step is to choose Heaven Heights in the Carlsbad area that you can trust to provide great care.
How to Choose the Best Home Care Agencies that Provide Private Duty Home Care in Carlsbad
How to Choose a Private Duty Home Care Agency
- Talk to family, friends, and your doctor or other health care professionals about home care. Get recommendations and referrals from people you trust.
- Look for a private duty home care agency near you. Do an online search. In the Carlsbad area, consider Heaven Heights.
- Read reviews. Each home care agency in the Carlsbad area will have reviews and testimonials on its website. Read those reviews and get a sense of how their clients and staff feel about their services.
- Call and talk to more than one in-home care provider. Are they good listeners? Do they offer the types of services you need? Are they provide services in the area where you are located?
How much does a private duty home care agency charge?Home care agencies that provide caregivers charge various rates, depending on their services, hours, and the complexity of the care you or your aging loved one might need. In Carlsbad, you can expect that the hourly rate for a home health aide or caregiver in the home is well over $20 per hour.
“Home care much less expensive than assisted living or nursing home care.”
What Activities Do Private Duty Home Caregivers Provide Seniors?When a home health aide or caregiver is in your home, they are usually in charge of completing certain household tasks like:
- Meal preparation
- Light housekeeping
- Light Laundry
- Making the bed
- Running errands or grocery shopping
- But caregivers also serve a much more important purpose with regard to the senior. The caregiver provides companionship, friendship, and socialization.
In summary, choosing to implement non-medical home care for your aging loved one can benefit them in numerous ways.Their health – both physical and mental will improve when a caring home care agency is involved.
If you are considering non-medical in-home care services, talk to the friendly staff at Heaven Heights today. Providing exceptional in-home senior care in Carlsbad, CA, and the surrounding areas. We can answer your questions and help you understand more about the services we offer. Call today: (760) 642-2096
- Medicare.gov: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/home-health-services
Latest posts by superadmin (see all)
- A Quick Guide to Popular Senior Care Services - March 9, 2021
- The Ultimate Guide to Private Duty Home Care in the Carlsbad, CA Area - February 24, 2021